Music And I Are Inseparable – A Strings
— May 4, 2014
A Strings was the runner-up of the 2nd season Naija Got Talent organised by Airtel this year. In this interview, A Strings whose real name is Daniel Azuka speaks to SAMUEL ABULUDE on his experience at Naija Got Talent 2, his plans to establish a music academy in Abuja and why violinists have not had a main stay in the music industry among others
How have you been coping with fame since you were the Runners-up of NGT 2?
I am Daniel John Azuka popularly known as A – strings It has really been good, I get alot of recognition in Abuja and all over, and a lot of people who saw the show have been calling in to show their surport, some call me for concerts, events like wedding ceremonies, birthdays and so on
So what have you been up to?
In the past couple of months I have been seeking for fund and start up my music academy in Kubwa area of Abuja. I figured out in my community here there are no music academies that gives little children the opportunity to learn musical instruments and get to express their emotions through the sound of Music. So I have taken it on my own to start off a music academy that will help groom kids and probably adults who want to learn different musical instruments.
Also I have been working on my new tracks that will be dropping first week of May, people can follow me on Facebook @A – strings or on twitter @officialazuka to get more information these.
How has being in NGT 2 helped you as an artiste?
Woow!, being in NGT2 has really helped me discover what I am made of as a person, it has given me the opportunity to pursue my dreams and never relent. Like I said before, I get calls from a lot of people inviting me to perform and that is just but a few. I know better things await my career and the future can only be brighter.
How challenging was it for you to break into the Top 3?
It was really tough breaking in to the top three for me, because everybody in the Top Ten gave their best and everybody deserved the grand price with the performance they put up. So I would just say my breaking to the top three was absolutely the Lord’s doing me good coupled with my efforts too.
In retrospect do you think you would have gotten this far and even worn the talent show?
Well, yes at some point I thought I was really going to win the show, but you know as they say, only one winner is going to emerge.
Who were those that made an impression on you at the duration of the show and why?
My fans were really supportive, they kept on voting and commenting both on twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other social media, and their support really kept me going. The judges were awesome, their advice really helped in re- branding me. Also my fellow contestants, I got to know them all better.
So what have you done with your prize gift?
Well a hundred thousand Naira (100,000) on our present day living won’t do much, so I am raising more funds through shows and all to set up my career and dreams on track.
Apart from being a violinist, what other instruments do you play and which artistes have you performed with?
I play the piano, and the guitar. And I have performed along side the Abuja metropolitan music society (AMEMUSO). I have performed along side a Grammy award winner, Susana Bacca in the 2012 Operabuja.
How do you intend to push your artistic career forward?
Music is part of me now, I studied the violin in the University of Nigeria Nsukka, so I don’t see myself doing any other thing better. That being said, I intend to start off my academy to groom others who are interested in what I do, and I am also working on my music. By the time I get them together I will be working on promoting them and getting my brand across the world.
What other work does Daniel Azuka do?
I work in Abba music School in Abuja as a piano, violin and guitar instructor.
For a young artiste what has been the challenges so far?
Fund, fund, fund. The money to kick start, I have a lot on my mind to do but without the fund its kind of difficult. But I know someday it’s all going to be well.
How long did it take you learn the violin and other string instruments?
Five years now, I started since 2008 when I first got admission into the department of music at UNN.
What are your hobbies?
I love music, I could sit all day listening to different kinds of music, because I draw my inspiration from listening to them. I also love to practice my violin a lot, the instrument has become part of me and I can’t seem to stop playing it. I love playing the guitar too, and I love to dance. Most time the way I combine my dance and also playing the violin makes me different from other violinists.
Above all I derive joy in teaching little kids to make music. Because I really believe if I had started my violin when I was little I would have gone very far by now. So I am going to make sure little kids that cross my path get to learn to make music.
What is your take on music industry?
The music industry in Nigeria is a tough ground for any upcoming artiste, because everybody is at the top of their games, so before you can make it to the top and remain there, you really have to know what you are doing.
I think the music industry in Nigeria is one of the fastest growing industry. Above all I still know the industry lacks the sweetness of the violin music, and that is why I am working hard to bring my style to light.
Who are your music influences?
A lot of artists and music influenced me, I grew up loving the hiphop music, so most time I play my violin I like it groovy. When I was learning the violin I was introduced to the classical music and I also love it becaus the genre actually is associated with the violin. You cannot talk about classical music without mentioning the violin. So basically I am influenced by a good combination of sounds and different genres of music. .
Do you also sing as an artiste?
I use to sing in my first year in the University, I had a couple of tracks that were really special to me. Back then I was called Dj Zuks which was a Nick name I coined out of my real name Daniel,John Azuka. I still sing though but no more as an artiste but just for my pleasure and healthiness.
In the next 5 years where do you plan to be?
In the next five years I wish to be heard and I am working on making my music known to the whole world. I also plan on having my Academy which will be nothing but a huge success in five years time.
No comments:
Post a Comment